Villa Romanazzi Carducci hotel preserves with the greatest respect the memory of the residence of a noble feudal family from Putignano who has owned the historical structure for about a century. In 1885 the two brothers, Giuseppe Maria and Orazio Romanazzi Carducci, bought this ancient mansion from Federico Maurizio Liebe, a native German merchant; at that time, Villa Romanazzi was described as follows: “A rustic area of the right extension, about 88 feet and 20 sq. m, of fertile land with fruit trees and appropriate decorations placed in the neighborhood of this city, in Contrada Torre Rossa o Quattrobocche” where there was already “a building or small house with a ground floor and a first floor with different rooms equipped with wood furniture and also shutters on the balconies” .
Mrs De Blasi purchased the building lot in 1876 while later Mr Liebe built the structure and created all the existing equipment. So, this villa was erected by a member of that foreign bourgeoisie who come to Bari in the 19th with the aim of prospering in business and trading activities. Federico Maurizio Liebe managed import-export activities of wine, oil and food in Via Cafarella; he was a member of the “Banca Cooperativa della società di mutuo soccorso” as well as an affiliate of the “società anonima di navigazione a vapore” , founded in 1876 in Bari. He married Bertha Mastaller, the daughter of the first German citizen who moved to Bari in the 19th to build up his holiday home in “Villa Lucae”.
Mr Liebe sold his new luxurious villa to Romanazzi Carducci’s brothers, whose parents were the marquis Giuseppe Natale and the baroness Giulia de Notaristefani. Romanazzi’s Family, feudal family of Putignano since Middle Ages, at the end of the XVIII century, thanks to the marriage between Giuseppe Natale and Rachele Carducci, belonging to the noble family of Taranto, had the opportunity to use this noble surname as prestigious gift that the bride’s family made to the groom.